Monday, March 23, 2009

Kindergartens

A large part of my work with The Storytelling Garden is visiting kindergartens. These 'Children's Gardens' are usually buried in the back streets of suburbia - in winding cul-de-sacs, attached to primary schools, churches or Infant Welfare Centres. I am an expert with the Melways!  Through storytelling in kinders I have become familiar with many places in the western suburbs of Melbourne and beyond. This week I have been working in Sunbury and Essedon but I have bookings south of Ballan and Bannokburn. The ability of 3 and 4 year olds to learn rhymes and stories astounds me. And the quality, dedication and patience of the teachers working and preparing our children for school is an eye opener. I meet women who I can only describe as living embodiments of spoken children's culture - handclaps, riddles, rhymes, chants and stories. It's all alive an well and being passed on to the next generation.

1 comment:

BookChook said...

How lovely to know these women are being recognized! There are so many traditional games, rhymes and chants that i rarely see in playgrounds nowadays, it is heartwarming to hear of hand clapping etc being perpetuated.

Followers

Blog Archive