Thursday, January 28, 2016

Working with the Story Peddlers on January 26, a difficult date for many of us.

January 26 has been and gone. It a date that provokes thought and reflection. The City of Greater Dandenong hosts a magical festival for residents.

The residents in this Community come from over 150 countries. I’ve worked many times for the CGD  and over the years have come to know some of the remarkable librarians and event organisers. I’ve also been privileged to listen to the stories of migration, escape and refuge of some of the residents.

Amid the voices calling for a rethink of anthem, date, constitutional recognition of Aboriginal people, treaty … of which my voice is one, I heard another voice yesterday. She said, ‘I have no English today. I speak Dari. I am so happy’. And heart to heart we enjoyed a big hug. When the day was over, and home at last, I googled ‘Dari’.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive