Friday, May 20, 2011

Eastern Regional Libraries cup cake tour

Eastern Regional Libraries is a cluster of 13 libraries and 2 mobiles (libraries that is).

I have just returned from a Cup Cake tour of four of the branches: Ferntree Gully, Ringwood, Yarra Junction and Healesville.

As part of Education Week these libraries hosted special story times for preschool - grade 2. It was my pleasure to be the invited special guest storyteller.

For me, the eastern region is a long road trip across acres of suburbia and kilometres of dual carriageways. Not far as the crow flies but with Melbourne traffic, its a slog up to the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges. Too far to travel back and forth, I stayed in Warburton overnight and treated myself to a counter meal at the Alpine Retreat Hotel ... But I digress ...

Rising at 5.30, I watched the sun rise. It was a relief to pull into the Ferntree Gully carpark and breath the cold air coming off the mountain.

The enthusiasm of the librarians for storytelling, their warmth and expertise is inspiring. At every branch the children were greeted with big smiles and treated with cup cakes.






The relationship between the libraries, the schools and families is exemplary. The librarians are without exception, well-informed, thoughtful and professional teams.


Now .. I know four photos of kids and cup cakes does not make for great viewing ... I guess you
really had to be there. But I had a fabulous time and I just want to convey the respect I feel these wonderful people.

We have hearts of gold in our communities.






No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive