Saturday, October 27, 2012

New Leaves Book Shop. Woodend

The New Leaves Book Shop is a seriously beautiful little store. Located on the corner of Anslow and Collier Streets in Woodend, Eleanor has created a highly browsable atmosphere with nooks and crannies to explore - small spaces to dream. It was my pleasure to be the author in residence for a while on a Saturday afternoon. Although mostly tied to my signing desk, I managed a few moments to wander the shelves. The book that tempted me the most was Insects of Surinam by Maria Sibylla Merian (1647 - 1717). I will say no more but if you love scientific illustration, this book will make your heart beat fast.

One of the many things I enjoy about travelling around to schools, bookshops and libraries is the chance to catch up with friends who live too far away to see on a regular basis. A mate from Storytelling Australia (Vic) dropped by for a copy of Phar Lap the wonder horse on her way to her Writer's Group. Kate and Eleanor are now on speaking terms and I look forward to returning to New Leaves one day and discovering them all arguing about commas, tense and recalcitrant apostrophes!


Here we are with mugs of tea in front of the food section ... and no - I didn't escape without making a purchase from the shelf behind me! Thanks for taking the pic Kate.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive