Friday, April 11, 2014

Storytelling in Bacchus Marsh


What a way to end the week!
It’s raining in Melbourne – at last. It’s been dry, dry, dry for months.

Today I headed out of the city to a small town called Bacchus Marsh, about an hour away on the M8. Its school holidays and I was expecting to tell stories to a group of primary age children. My storyteller’s instincts kicked in and I packed my story box, the full kit and caboodle. When booked by a library, expect the unexpected. My listeners were aged between 6months and 5 years of age. I dumped the shark jaws in the car (great story to go with by the way), threw away my plans and rejigged the brain.

I had a wonderful time with the children, their families and carers. I can recommend Montomery Kelly’s book Out of the Storyteller’s Hat. This book is a treasure trove of ideas for stories and songs for the very young,


 pic: I had to pull over an take a photo of the Avenue of Honour. This is the entrance to Bacchus Marsh - majestic and moving.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive