Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Bits That Didn't Fit. Book Launch 2012

The Bits That Didn't Fit by Jonathan Griffiths


Writing stories is a solitary pastime and painfully slow. Oscar Wilde said lots of quotable things and this is one of them …, I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. I can relate to that. Some of us who choose to write, need to find like-minded friends and writers groups – it can help with the isolation and the pain.


I first met Jonathan Griffiths at a writers group facilitated by Mammad Aidini.
We were based at the Footscray Community Art Centre and met once a month. Our group lasted for about 5 years and most members have scattered and lost touch but there remains an affection and support amongst some of us that is real and valued. Without this writers group, I would never have developed the confidence and skills to publish.
I was delighted to be asked to participate in the launch of Jonno's book. There are some ripping yarns in this collection of short stories. One of the things I like most about Jonathan’s stories is they take me places I will never go and introduce me to men I will never meet. And unpleasant as they frequently are to my 21st century middle class sensibility, I’m drawn to them – something to do with the notion that we are all just blood and bone.


Read more and purchase a copy here.




Still supporting each other in our literary endeavours: 
L-R Bill Marshall (playwright, poet) Jonathan Griffiths (novelist,short stories, Jackie Kerin (short stories, childrens picture books)

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive