Saturday, June 4, 2011

Workshop: Melbourne Library Service

Struggling through morning peak hour traffic, inching through one intersection at a time and sadly observing how we all choke up the roads with our single driver cars, you can imagine how delighted I was when I saw the car parking space reserved for me at East Melbourne Library.

Booked to run a PD workshop for children's librarians at East Melbourne, this is not a task for the faint hearted. Already these people are highly skilled and well informed. Where I zoom in and zoom out, these professionals run a story time every week. With the luxury of time to develop relationships with the children and families that visit their libraries, thematic programs are evolved, costumes donned and colourful characters developed.

In such an environment it's difficult to know what to offer and how get the most out of the day. I took a full story box and more - anything I could share to help these magicians continue with the magic.

I was left wondering at the end of the day- how do we mentor the young ones coming through? How do we build the confidence of people to stand in front of 70+ adults and children and deliver storytime? We need to work on this one. The work is too important not to nurture and grow.

Thinking cap is on!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive