Thursday, January 19, 2012

Storytelling off the back of my bike

I live in a beautiful part of Melbourne in a community that is embracing of diversity and supportive of the arts the environment. Today I had a taste of it all when I had the privilege of telling stories as part of GOWEST for Midsumma.

Hobsons Bay proudly creates opportunities and events at this time of year supporting and representing GLBTIQ (Gay Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer) communities in the west.

Such a perfect morning, I was able to ride my bike around Port Phillip Bay, through the Williamstown Wetlands, around the old racecourse where Phar Lap once thrilled the crowds and along the Altona Esplanade under the towering Norfolk Pines.

My bike coped magnificently with a heavy basket loaded with props and all sorts of bibs and bobs that a storyteller needs. The frame, rack and stand are so sturdy, that even with such a load, it's
perfectly stable and I can work out off the back of
it without any fear of a topple.

Please enjoy the pics I took on the way. If only I had a better lens I could have shown you some of the birds I saw: rails, swans, stilts, pelicans, grebes ... and I narrowly missed a tiger snake who likes to cross the path between one pond and the next. But I did nearly collide with a frantic parent who was dealing with a catatonic child. Ahh ... urban wildlife





This sculpture marks the site of the old Williamstown racecourse. Its called Requiem for a Champion and the artist is Yvonne George.


This pic was taken on a bridge crossing one of the ponds in the Williamstown Wetlands. Beyond is Port Phillip Bay. With so much rain in the past two years - the vegetation is looking brilliant and the wildlife is thriving - and only about 12 ks from the CBD.





Coming into Altona, the bike path follows the esplanade under the trees. Glorious!



Thankyou to Hobsons Bay librarians for inviting me to be their guest storyteller. Info about preschool Storytime and Rhymetime here. And thankyou Russell for taking the photos.



This weekend: Immigration Museum: Kid's Fest: All Aboard!
January 21 and 22
12.15 2.15. 3.15

Bookings: The Storytelling Garden tania@storygarden.com.au

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive