Friday, March 14, 2014
Stephen Whiteside: The Billy That Died With Its Boots On
Stephen Whiteside was thrilled to be able to bring an advance copy of his soon-to-be-released collection of poetry for children to the Port Fairy Folk Music Festival. Titled "'The Billy That Died With Its Boots On' and Other Australian Verse", it is being released by Walker Books Australia in May.
The book is targeted to primary school children in grades 5 and 6, but Stephen says he likes to see it also as a book for parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, godparents, etc. Stephen writes in the tradition of Banjo Paterson and C. J. Dennis, and believes the book will be great for adults who are keen to introduce children to Australia's rich heritage of rhyming verse.
Many of the poems in the book relate to the Australian outdoors - the mountains, the snow, the beach, the ocean, native birds and animals, etc. However, there are also poems about dinosaurs, sport, the weather, and suburban living. There is even a poem about Martians!
Stephen has been writing rhyming verse for over thirty years. He writes for both adults and children. Many of his poems have been published in magazines and anthologies, both in Australia and overseas, or won awards. He received a Golden Gumleaf for "Children's Poem of the Year" at the Australian Bush Laureate Awards in 2013 for his poem "The Sash", which features in the book.
Stephen works as a medical practitioner (GP) in the suburbs of Melbourne and you can read about him HERE
- WEBSITE: JACKIE KERIN
- The Storytelling Garden
- Storytelling Guild
- Storyteller: Matteo
- Storyteller: Julie Perrin
- Storyteller: JB Rowley
- Storyteller: Anne E Stewart
- Pigeons Projects
- Newport Fiddle and Folk Club
- Malcolm McKinnon:film maker artist
- Literary Festival: Williamstown
- Literary Festival: Froth and Bubble
- Indigenous Storyteller: Glenn Shea
- Folk Festival: Woodford
- Folk Festival: Port Fairy
- Creative Net
- Cardigan Comics: Bernard Caleo
- Boomerang Books
- Books illustrated
- Author: George Ivanoff
- Author: Claire Saxby
- Adverse Camber(UK Story Productions)
- ► 2018 (12)
- ► 2016 (14)
- ► 2015 (20)
- The Australia Wild Project
- 100 stories at The State Library of Victoria's Chi...
- World Storytelling Day: Monsters and Dragons
- FRAMED at 100 Story Building 2014
- Stephen Whiteside: The Billy That Died With Its Bo...
- Storytelling at the Port Fairy Folk Music Festival...
- Phil Rush: storyteller, poet and raconteur. Cygnet...
- The storytelling year begins with stories for the ...
- Kamishibai Library of Swaps hosted by UK Storytell...
- ▼ March (9)
- ► 2013 (54)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (66)
- ► 2010 (53)
- ► 2009 (30)