Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Storytelling at the Port Fairy Folk Music Festival 2014

This annual Folk Music Festival is held over 4 days in one of  the most picturesque locations in Victoria - the dynamic south west coast. This year I was up to my elbows in the storytelling program. Curated by Jim Haynes, it included a debate, a show, a workshop, a book launch and the Pat Glover memorial Storytelling Award.

My friend Greg Jenkins from the Newport Fiddle and Folk Club kept me company for my story set which added a new dimension to the tales but after that I was at the mercy of Jim and bush poet Bill Kearns.

I love the friendships forged at festivals, the spark and improvisation that happens between tellers. It can be years before paths are crossed again but that's the fun of it.

Camping is always a challenge and working out a system for lugging gear up the venues.

Working with Greg was a treat. A born comic, I was never sure what was going on behind my back!

I was carrying the Storytelling Australia (Victoria) banner and it looked stunning against back back drops in the theatres.


The Pat Glover  Award is always a highlight and I now have the honour of sitting on the judging panel. The beards this year were particularly spectacular. Pictured here left to right is the indefatigable Jim Haynes, three time winner and judge, Rob England and the 2014 winner, Mick Coventry


 Port Fairy Folk Music Festival HERE


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive